About Us Procedures 3D Imaging Gallery Questions & Answers
Questions & Answers The Surgical Experience About Anaesthesia 

Could you suggest a possible treatment for hypertrophic scarring?

Your questions answered by our surgeon, Lucian Ion, FRCS(Plast)

Asked on 05 May 2012


I am a black male (late 20's) with hypertrophic scarring to the face. I have had these for 10 - 15 years and are quite old.

Could you suggest a possible treatment ?


In a situation like this, typical injections of triamcinolone seem to be less effective.

An enhanced effectiveness can be achieved by combining triamcinolone (steroid) with 5 Fluorouracil which is an anti-cancer preparation that is also used in very low dosage as a fibrolythic (collagen reduction treatment).

The more advanced level of effectiveness can be achieved using a combination of scar removal and external beam radiotherapy, and I would typically recommend this if the steroid - 5 Fluorouracil combination fails to deliver improvement.

Lucian Ion Cosmetic Surgeon Mr Lucian Ion FRCS(Plast)
129 Harley Street

Get in touch. Talk to our helpful team or book a consultation with Mr Lucian Ion. Call 0207 486 7757

Book an appointment
Receive our newsletter